Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Museum of Photographic Arts




When I attended the Museum of Photographic Arts I expected there to be a large selection of photos, but was surprised upon arrival.  Once I took a deeper look, I realized that the pictures that were in the museum were amazing enough that the little number of them didn't matter.  The set-up of the museum takes you through sections ranging from portraits, to detail photos, to pictures of the photographer's eye, and even to frame.  The photographer's eye section was particularly  interesting because they were photos that deal with the world.  There was a variety in the types of pictures, and each one expressed an image that relates to the photographer's perspective.  I found the piece "New Orleans" by Michael A. Smith to be one of my favorites in the gallery.  The image was black and white and the frame focused on bottles of alcohol.  The surrounding edges of the frame had dollar bills.  The overall affect of the picture was illustrated by the photographer's impression of New Orleans.  This particular picture gave me the impression of a bar atmosphere and the connection of money with booze.  The title gave insight into the photo because just looking at it didn't give anything away about the location.  The focal was on the alcohol and cash.  Another aspect I noticed in the picture was a slight smoking feeling, which also added to the guess that it was taken in a bar.  A few other artists and photos that caught my attention enough to write them down were Alexey Tirarenko's "St. Peterburg Crowd 2" and William Clift's "unknown" from the Courthouse Series.  The courthouse image showed a building from a long shot, with a mirror reflection that grabbed your attention as you walked by with its small window panes and building images.  The outer frame is empty space and the focal point is in the center of the shot.  The equilateral window panes made the reflection visually more appealing.  The reflective building is of a courthouse on a rectangular building.  This picture was black and white as well, but the clouds and the lighting of the image made me feel it was late afternoon.  I had to look up the image after leaving the museum because there is a lot of detail to the picture.  Overall, the museum had such a wide range of types of photographs for such a small space.  I was pleasantly surprised by my reaction to the museum, because I truly enjoyed myself!! 

No comments: